Friday, March 11, 2011

piña means pineapple


This week, I did actual research, not just hand out surveys. Then, I had to take that collected data, and put it in the biggest excel spreadsheet of my life. I don’t really like that part much at all. So I’m not going to write about it.

Instead, I am going to include passing thoughts I have had over the past week about random events that could possibly be of interest. If they begin to bore you, feel free to stop reading at anytime. You run no chance of offending me since I have no idea who reads this anyways.

First off, when we went to The Most Beautiful Place in the World (its official now, so I’m capitalizing the titile), we had our nuvi car direction machine going in the front. I thought, “Oh that’s fun! Just like the U.S.”. Then I realized, They do not have addresses in Costa Rica. How is this machine even possible in this country?!  I quickly questioned my host parents on how this could possibly be so. I still don’t really know. Magic, I guess. Considering there are no street names here, half the roads seem to have been added on a whim, and no house numbers, I usually think it’s a miracle I ever arrive anywhere. 

When we were preparing to leave for The Most Beautiful Place in the World, we changed out of our church clothes. My host mom likes pink a lot, so she buys a lot of thrift store pink shirts, often from the U.S. On Sunday morning she came down wearing a shirt that read “I’m not fat, I’m just Knocked Up!”. I laughed to myself, and then proceeded to explain to her what her shirt said. Luckily she thought it was funny too, but still changed before we went out.

Another thing I like about this town is everyone’s refrigerators are rarely full.  No, I don’t starve. Finishing the food that is put infront of me is equally as difficult here as it was in San Jose. However, my host mom goes to the grocery store atleast twice a day. When we made dinner the other night, she went once and I went twice during the process as we realized we were missing, or simply wanting, other ingredients. Everything is as fresh as possible, though it does mean a lot of decision making (to prepare every meal, you must first decide what to make. It’s like in the U.S. where we try to make something from all the stuff we have. But, it gives me good decision making practice)

My next door neighbor, who is also my host aunt (sort of) paints a lot of things as a job in addition to being a mom. She is currently painting different small murals for a school in the next town over, so I have been helping her instead of doing data entry. This was the product of yesterday's procrastination. He's about 3 feet tall, and will live on the wall of a school.

As I walk to school everyday, and home, and between schools, and when I’m bored, I’ve become a good navigator of streets that act both as the town road and a route for many 18 wheeler trailers. First off, I did not know pineapple trucks have a smell. But they do. And it’s wonderful. They cut off the top of all of the pineapples before they put them on the truck. The truck with all the tops doesn’t really smell, but the one with all the fruit, when it drives by, its really unbelievable. Also, Becky still continues to try to accompany me on all my walks. However, schools don’t love having a dog coming into all their classes, so I’m getting good at sneaking out of the house. It’s like I’m a teenager trying to sneak out to some forbidden location at night, except its 6:30 in the morning, I’m wearing scrubs, and I’m hiding from a dog.

This weekend I have a reunion with my advisor. Hopefully he likes my spreadsheets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment