Friday, March 4, 2011

encuesta means survey


And so concludes my first week as a researcher. That’s pretty cool, one week of real world experiences down and about seven left to go. I feel fairly comfortable here already. I think I am growing accustomed to the role of half guest half family member so that transition was easier than the first time, in addition to already being accustomed to this family having visited last weekend. Both of these made for a smooth transition. In addition, I get to make my own schedule here, which is a blessing and a burden. It did allow me to take it slow the first few days (stepping lightly as my program director fondly calls it) and get my bearings before I dove into my research. This was somewhat of a strange phenomenon, having grown accustomed to the block plan, which gives you approximately a few moments to catch your breath before charging full tilt ahead. Though I enjoy the fast paced experience of the block plan (and sorely missed it the come the second afternoon of my lackadaisical lifestyle) it was a nice introduction to these two months. 

I cook with my host mom most days, depending on when my schedule returns me back to my house (pictures to come sometime soon). Today we made a sort of shepards pie concoction, except we used mashed yucca instead of potatoes, and soy hamburger with costarican sort of spices. Yum. Also because we are so much closer to many farms, we have a lot of fruits here that you can’t even really get back in the city in San Jose, let alone in the U S of A. I am making a photographic documentation of all the new fruits I try so I don’t forget their names and can go in search of them when I return here (someday, somehow. Not really sure on those details.) I should probably start a recipe book soon too, as I don’t think there’s enough room in my head for all these recipes.

Every day so far has also included at least an hour of painting with Angelina. We’ve made some pretty masterful artworks that are about on par with Monet or the Mona Lisa, though I would say their style is greatly influenced by that of Jackson Pollock. I also have gotten to know my town more as I have started walking to all the different schools to begin my research (the walking part is much to my host mom’s confusion, as is my habit of exercising for enjoyment. I find most costaricans find my interest in running on a daily basis extremely perplexing and almost unimaginable).  Becky continues to follow me to every school, walking sometimes almost three miles there, and then back again. And she usually walks around the school with me as well. Stray dogs are common here, so the schools usually assume she is just a random stray wandering around the school. I usually wait until I am almost leaving to explain that the scruffy grey mutt is actually my travel companion So far most have just thought it was endearing, not completely bizarre as I was worried at first. I have tried to tell her to stay home, but she doesn’t listen, so I finally gave in. And she’s a good listener when I practice my spanish or pronunciation of random words during my walks to schools, so I guess I can’t complain.

The schools themselves usually range in size from about eighty to a hundred and fifty kids, making them seem a little more manageable than the schools I grew up in. Its funny to watch the faces on all the little kids as I explain my study to them and ask if they can bring home my survey and fill it out with their parents (I promise stickers if they bring them back completed). I know I must sound pretty strange with some sort of accent, but it’s impossible for me to know what I sound like to them. Which is weird. I wish I could hear what I sound like to them. I realize more and more what a strange concept languages are while I’m here. Especially when explaining phrases, or song lyrics, or other things that I had never really thought about. For example, my host brother here, age 25, asked me what “Do you think you can handle this?” means (a line in a Shakira song). I still don’t know if he really understands.

This is the average terrain of my daily strolls (or sometimes intense hikes, depending on location, if the road is paved and/or extremely steep, and if it decided to rain, be a million degrees, or somewhere in the middle). Occasionally an 18-wheeler whizzes by, then I am startled. So is Becky.

And incase you were wondering what happened to my good friend the iguana, he remained in my house until this afternoon. Yesterday a family friend thought he was Angelina’s toy and almost picked him up. Then this afternoon I mustered up all my courage (I had grown a little scared of him, I’m not going to lie) and got a very long stick, and finally managed to get him afuera (outside). I hope he is well on his way to a location far, far from here. 

Ciao noches (a combination of goodbye and good night that Angelina created)

No comments:

Post a Comment