Monday, March 7, 2011

bonita means beautiful


On Sunday I went to the most beautiful place in the world for lunch. That was exciting, and I have now never have to worry again about figuring where I am going to get married. Or where I am going to live for the rest of my life. But I’ll get to that later, I just thought it was an exciting sentence to start off my post. Now, back to Saturday where I left off last time.

Saturday was Maggie’s birthday, her 21st to be exact. So in true 21st birthday fashion, we spent the day at a hot springs, eating refried beans out of  a packet on tortilla chips (that was sarcasm by the way, it wasn’t a typical 21st birthday, but none the less wonderful). We were in a natural hot springs, and spent the hours of 11 am to 5 pm soaking in various pools of varying temperatures. We took breaks only to get massages (a mere $30/hour.). I would have to say it was quite the stressful day. Our one moment of high heart rates came when a snake was discovered in the small cabin where you get massages. It ended up being very extremely rather large, and put up a fight against the two employees who made it their mission to kill it. I currently don’t have pictures of this wonderful place, or the snake. But I will get them, and then you will get to see them both in all their glory.

When I got home, the iguana was still here (that one that arrive on Thursday). He was a little scary and startling, and I had begun sleeping with my door closed to make sure he did not join me in bed during the night. So, I decided to remove him from our living room on the end of a very long stick. Here are pictures of him during his multi day visit, when I would find him in various locations.

Skyping his iguana friends - look I got a new house!! 

  


   One time my family friend here thought the iguana was my host sister's toy. Then when she tried to pick him up, she realized he was not when he hissed and whipped his tail. She scream. 



Hanging out in his humble abode. Rude.


Sunday is a day without work here, a time for church and visiting and things that make you smile. I accompanied my family to Catholic Mass. I still don’t know quite enough Spanish to follow the whole thing, and just kind of made up my own words and tune when the whole congregation sang. But it was cool to see an entire community (I’m confident most of the entire town was there), and I plan to continue going every week. After church we talked and visited with other people in the town (I introduced myself countless times, and remember maybe one of the names I was told). After, we returned home with my host cousin, his wife, and their newborn baby Santiago. I have to say, I have had extreme luck in locating small children in this country. It’s fantastic. Here is evidence:

Santiago and his mom.

Her matching colored outfits make her exponentially cuter, which I didn't think was possible. 



My host mom said we were going to a pretty lake, which sounded nice, and we all loaded up into cars. We drove for about half an hour, and that’s when we arrived in the most beautiful place in the world. Now, pictures to explain (since they are worth a thousand words, or so I have heard).


Hello and welcome to the restaurant located in the most beautiful place in the world.

Real. I swear.

Lots of birds. Obviously they want to live in the most beautiful place in the world too, who can blame them?

Take a seat.

Your view while you eat (also host cousin in law, mom and cousin)

Here is a picture so you can all find it too. There are no addresses in Costa Rica, otherwise I would just tell you it. 



Disclaimer: I realy truly did not alter the colors of these pictures. It was real life in ridiculous colors. Like I was living in a Photoshop-ed world.


  
Tomorrow I begin the first day of actually measuring children’s height and weight, and asking them (awkwardly and politely) to please lift up their shirt (only a little please!) so I can measure their abdominal circumference (which means first prodding their side to locate their iliac crest). It should be interesting.  However, this also means getting ready for school tomorrow is a process, and I must begin that production. The school day begins at 7 am here, so mine begins a good while before that. 


1 comment: