Thursday, March 24, 2011

nutria marina means sea otter

I am now into the second (and thus last) half of my semester abroad. The way our program works, our semester consists of an almost like block-like schedule, much a like a Colorado College semester. We spend a block in San Jose, learning Spanish and developing research projects. Then we spend a block doing research. Then we check in to make sure our research is going alright, and then continue another block of research. Finally, we have a last block back in San Jose with more Spanish and a final research report.

So here begins block three, entitled CR321 (Costa Rica 321). Prerequisites include CR123 (an introductory class to Costa Rican culture, mangos and research methods) and CR222 (a 200 level course involving direct immersion into both a tranquil country environment and a occasionally overwhelming self directed research project).

With my brief return to the city, and then back to the country, I can definitely see the differences that I love of each place.  There is something to be said for having a premade schedule that you follow everyday, like I do in San Jose. The minimal amount of decisions I had to make while back there was a nice change. Though I did not miss the city air(/smog) or other such city aspects that I’ve never been in love with. However, being around a lot of people who I knew, and always understand me is nice once in a while. San Jose also contains bagels, a phenomenon that my family here had never experienced so I brought half a dozen of them home and we sampled them toasted with cream cheese and butter (flavors included cinnamon and raisin, sesame seed, poppy seed, everything, whole wheat, plain and garlic).


I don’t have any particularly astounding events that have happened to update you on, but I thought I would just include some fun tidbits I seemed to have forgotten in other posts.

The first is these extremely bizarre raccoons. They remind me more of monkeys. We drove by them while in La Fortuna. A good number of cars had stopped to look at them (tourists and ticos – I think they’re weird enough that even locals are fascinated) and take pictures of feed them. When we drove down the same road about 3 hours later there was a different group of cars stopped in the same place, with the same raccoon creatures being fed. They may be very weird looking, but these raccoons are smart, and well fed, and have the paparazzi constantly following them.



The second is my previously pictured adorable cousin Santi was baptized last weekend. He was a great sport and slept through the whole thing. He then threw a very good party (considering he is only three months old) from noon to one in the morning.




During my brief visit back to the city I skyped a good portion of the Vasington clan. It was quite the experience!
Grandpa's first skype, ever!

Jack's knowledge of skype is beyond mine, so somehow he can make emily look like she is pilot. 



Becky does not fail to surprise me. This is a photo I was taking, as I do often, of kids I was measuring to include in a final presentation. At the last moment, Becky walked into the room. How did she find me at this school or the room I was in? Good question. Luckily I have the ability to speak to animals and asked her. Obviously she is a dog. Obviously she has a keen sense of smell. Obviously she can find me. She didn’t elaborate more, so I didn’t ask anymore. 




The title has nothing to do with anything in this post, except that this post is about me and I really, really like sea otters. 

1 comment: