Tuesday, February 1, 2011

sobrepeso means overweight

Today was my first meeting with my advisor, my second day of classes. However, it seems I have been here for an eternity. As each day passes, my schedule fills up more and more. Thus, I am posting now in hopes that many now will make up for few or none in the future.

My class schedule here is similar to the block plan, but on a slightly earlier schedule. I have spanish class every morning from 730-11 a.m., and instruction in research methods or meetings with my advisor from 1-3 or 4 p.m. I am definitely thankful for the block plan on this schedule, and don't have the same overwhelmed feeling of many of my peers. My typical day begins with a breakfast much larger then I can ever possibly finish, followed by a bus ride to town and a brief walk to ACM. Then much learning, and then a break for lunch and exploring the city. I then return for more learning, and then walk home (a 30 minute stroll) and an evening of homework and time with my host family.

So, what might I be doing for the two months after my boot camp month of Spanish and Costa Rican culture? Well, I just found out this afternoon, so now I can inform you. I am going to be studying child obesity (kids 4-17 yrs old).  My advisor, Freddy Ulate, has placed me and two other girls in three different towns to collect data based on time children spend in front of a screen, and it's relationship to obesity. Our data will be added to some he already has, in hopes of creating a larger project with greater implications. I will be doing this research on my own (holy smokes) for 3 weeks, then returning to San Jose to present my initial findings to my classmates and collaborate with the others on my project. Then I will head back to the field for another 3 1/2 weeks for more solo researching, and returning for a final month of statistics, analysis, and final presentations. This will hopefully also include returning to the town to present my findings.

My impressions so far of Costa Rica have all been wonderful. Its an extremely welcoming country, with so much to explore in this city and beyond. It actually looks very similar in many ways to Colorado Springs, with a sprawling city surrounded by mountains. However, they are all around, not only to the west. They offer a lot of potential for weekend trips, as does the beach which is only a two hour bus ride away. My research site is also a short distance from Arenal Volcano, which will be quite an adventure to visit. Already I'm making plans of how I can possibly return here next year, or every year for that matter. The fresh fruit is incentive enough.

1 comment:

  1. Jess! You're really far away! I have already attempted to call your phone once, I hung up seconds later: deeply embarrassed and frustrated. But after reading your tales from the tropics I'm so excited for you. Clearly you're having fun in San Jose. I mean, when you're a vegetarian studying juvenile obesity in a developing country with a daunting language barrier how could you not?!
    On a more serious note, please pet and kiss your host dogs once a day for me.
    And don't worry if you can't post too often, just enjoy your time down there! Don't get too busy too fast.
    Much love,
    Johnny

    ReplyDelete