Monday, February 21, 2011

cafe means coffee

Before I forget to mention it, as I did in my last post, I went to Tace Bell for the first time on Valentine's Day. It was quite the experience - we went the whole family. I was a little overwhelmed with decision making as to what to order (what a surprise) so my host sister said she would order her favorite for me. This was then followed by five minutes of explanation that could they please not put any meat in the food (no, not even chicken). But, it was enjoyable all in all. A memorable valentine's day to say the least.

Now, for a recount of my field trip to a coffee farm. I like coffee here, which is not really the case back home. I will drink coffee without upsetting my gag reflex, but I never have desires for a hot cup of joe. However, here the coffee is on a different level, and I thoroughly enjoy it. Which is good because I am offered it countless times a day. My withdrawal experience that I know will happen upon my return to the states is a dreaded event in my mind.

The coffee farm we visited is a free-trade organization, and though it is small, it sells to all over the world. So, the process with the help of pictures:


Here is what the plant actually looks like. And the farmer who showed us all around. 

These are what coffee beans look like. I think the color combination is absolutely fantastic. And they don't taste too terrible in this stage, though the farmer shown here laughed and laughed when I asked to try them and then did. 

They take out a sample in the beaker on the right, and then count how many green seeds are in that sample, and that is how they measure the quality of the batch. They have to get the seeds to the plant the same day they pick them, or they will begin to ferment in the bags. 

On the top of my hand is the skin of one of the seeds I ate, and the inside. On the lower part of my hand is the seed after it has gone through the heating process which removes all the shells/skins.


This is the beginning of the heating process, done with hot water and steam, which removes the skins.



This is the removed seeds, being dropped in a giant pile that kind of looks like poop.

The seeds (unroasted) in lots of bags ready to be shipped off to different locations. 

The roasting process- most wonderful of smells.
Yum yum yum fresh espresso. 

We also met with some women who have a co-op in connection with the farm. They make medicinal remedies and natural shampoo out of the coffee plant and other natural plants in the area. My hope is to return there for a week during the final parts of my time here to learn from them and spend time in one of the most beautiful places ever. The coffee farm is up at about 5,000 - 6,000 ft, and has such pure air and green landscape.  This picture doesn't even really show how beautiful it was. 


That was last Wednesday which seems like years ago (I still can't believe I have only been here four weeks. It seems like forever, but also no time at all).

Last week also included my adventures around San Pedro to find scrubs to make me appear as if I know what I am doing while visiting this schools. Hopefully I will appear as a knowledgeable and educated young gringa if I am wearing scrubs. Hopefully. It also really rained for the first time since I was here, a real torrential down pour, but luckily it only lasted a little more then ten minutes, and I found shelter during my walk home. It makes me wonder what the end of May will have in store as the rainy season begins.

Also here is my new favorite fruit. It kind of tastes like a combination of pomegranate and passion fruit.
Its really yummy. That's the tourist bus we take everywhere in the background. 

I also include in this post the recipe to the delicious mango cake that I talked about in one of my first posts. If you are reading this, as soon as you are done reading this, you should not do whatever you were going to do. Instead you should go to the store, get all the ingredients, and make this cake. I mean you only live once, and its really really really yummy. 

Ingredients:
Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 ½  cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 2 cups peeled and finely diced mango

Glaze
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ cups peeled and finely diced mango

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Beat eggs until fluffy; add vanilla, brown sugar, and white sugar by the tablespoon andcontinue beating for 5 minutes, decrease the speed to low and add slowly add oil.  Set aside.

Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  With a rubber spatula mix flour mixture into wet ingredients using a slow, circular motion.  Finally, stir in the carrot and mango.  Pour into a greased and floured baking pan with a 12 cup capacity (she used a circular cake pan, I think that's approximately 10x2.5 round or a 13x9 inch rectangular baking pan).

Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.  In the mean time, prepare the glaze.  Mix together evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and finely chopped mango.

Once cake is cool poke a few small holes, drizzle with glaze, and enjoy!

I have many other updates, but as our last week is upon us, my workload is also a little more than usual with a final test, a skit, a powerpoint presentation, and a research proposal all due by the end of the week. I reminds me immensely of fourth week of the block plan, though I hadn't really missed this part of it. So for today, this will be all. But tomorrow for a study break I promise to update on some more pura vida happenin's. 

I will leave you with a picture of a poinsettia. Except I found it growing the wild near the coffee farm. Which means its always christmas here. This country is the best. 


No comments:

Post a Comment